Late 12th – early 13th c.
1.5 x 1.9
Two-line engraved inscription: Beatus Stefanus
Provenance: excavations in the Medieval Russian town Izyaslavl, Principality of Volhynia (now in Western Ukraine). Discovered in 1958 by the Volhynia expedition of the USSR Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Archeology, Leningrad Branch
- → Born in the spirit. Baptism of Russia and the triumph of Christian faith
- Under the Virgin Mother’s Protection
- Patrons and instructors. Veneration of saints in Russia and Russian saints.
- Light in the wilderness. Monasteries in Russia
- The Earthly Kingdom and the Heavenly Kingdom
- Holy objects in everyday life
- Heaven on Earth. Inside a Russian Orthodox Church
русский | english